Respiratory Physical Therapy
Other than with cardiac problems, there is probably not one other physiologic function of our body that creates increased fear and anxiety like being short of breath. If you are one who has shortness of breath because of asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, or other chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), then a prescribed and supervised physical therapy program may help to improve respiratory function and thereby decrease your shortness of breath and allow you to increase your activity level.
At Close Physical Therapy, we have the skill, knowledge, and experience to provide the following to our patients who have a history of chronic shortness of breath:
- A thorough evaluation of your respiratory function, functional ability, physical fitness and endurance.
- Education regarding the care and treatment of COPD, along with breathing exercises and techniques.
- Exercise to strengthen and condition the muscles used in the breathing process.
- Instruction in the use of postural drainage techniques.
- Exercise/ambulation activities to improve endurance and physical fitness.
- An individual home exercise/activity program.
Through our program, we believe that our patients will increase their knowledge and have a better understanding of their respiratory disease process. They will also be able to reach a higher level of function by breathing more efficiently and thereby improving their fitness.